Announcing the 46th Annual Meeting of the Bob Davids Chapter
The first, and most active, chapter of the
Society for American Baseball Research
Open to members, non-members and guests
Date: Saturday, February 4, 2017, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Site: Holiday Inn Rosslyn at Key Bridge, 1900 North Fort Myer Drive, Arlington, VA 22209-1602, (703) 807-2000 — walking distance from the Rosslyn Metro station on the Orange, Blue and Silver lines, and our chapter meeting location since 2010. Parking is free in the hotel’s parking deck.
Cost: $37 for SABR members and guests (in honor of Stephen Strasburg); $19 for ages 15 and under. Includes a lunch buffet with chicken parmigiana, vegetarian lasagna, tomato-basil mozzarella salad, antipasto salad, garlic bread, assorted desserts, coffee, water and iced tea, and morning and afternoon coffee service.
Schedule of Speakers and Events (confirmed so far):
* Mark Zuckerman of MASN, the only beat writer covering the Nationals since they came to Washington.
* Jerome Nelson, a baseball arbitrator who gave a “Talkin’ Baseball” talk on “Resolving Baseball Disputes: Arbitration of Salaries, Grievances, Drug Programs, Sexual Assault, and Abuse.” He’ll speak about the baseball arbitration process and the new Basic Agreement.
* Bruce Adams and Tim Wendel, on Cuba. Bruce went to Cuba last summer with the Cal Ripken Baseball League, and Tim is the author of two fictional works on Cuban baseball and has been to Cuba three times.
* Chapter meeting regular Dave Smith, who will present the talk he gave at the 2016 SABR Convention, “The Myth of the Closer,” winner of the Doug Pappas Research Award for the best oral presentation.
* Paul Dickson, who will speak on his upcoming book, “Leo Durocher: Baseball’s Prodigal Son.” Paul is a recipient of SABR’s Chadwick Award as one of baseball’s best researchers.
* Glenn Donnellan, National Symphony violinist and National Anthem performer at Nats games on his “Electric Slugger” custom-made baseball bat violin. Donnellan will start the meeting with the anthem and play some other selections and Take Me Out to the Ballgame.
• Vendors of baseball books and related material—Many authors will be available for autographing.
• Camaraderie—Mingle with SABR friends. Make new ones. There will be lots of time to socialize and talk baseball.
• Raffle—Go home with baseball books and paraphernalia. Tickets are still only $1 each or 10 tickets for $5. Bring items to donate. Proceeds help the chapter stay in the black.
During the business meeting, we will vote to fill three board seats. All are two-year terms. All incumbents have said they will run for re-election, but anyone may be nominated. The seats and the incumbents:
• Vice-President: Peter Cottrell;
• Treasurer: Dave Paulson;
• Board Member: Barry Sparks.
If you are interested in running, email chapter president David Raglin at email@example.com.
Registration form can be found after the break (more…)